FW: [TenTec] 253 Tuner Chip?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [TenTec] 253 Tuner Chip?
From: tscott@eni.net (Tom Scott)
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:42:05 -0800
I looked up the X24C04 in my Xicor Data book. It is a 512 x 8 Electrically
Erasable PROM with a 2 wire serial I2C interface. You read and write to it
by sending and receiving serial packets with control commands, addresses,
and data.

I'm surprised that the tuner control system would have a problem with the
EEPROM "filling up", but I suppose its possible. There is nothing special
about getting full. It should just wrap around and begin overwriting the
first locations. If the tuner starts acting flakey, sounds like a bug in the
control software. In theory, you could manually erase the chip if the tuner
won't handle that, but you would have to send it serial commands to write
all the locations, there doesn't appear to be a block erase command, so it
would be a bit of a hassle requiring some digital breadboarding.

- Tom
       Tom Scott     -    Wyle Electronics    -    KD7DMH
       10300 SW Nimbus Ave #PB, Portland, OR 97223
       503-603-1931 - TEL   503-684-6620 - FAX
       503-504-1583 - Cell    503-604-8651 - Pager