[TenTec] 238 Tuner settings

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 238 Tuner settings
From: alex.ai2q@worldnet.att.net (Alex Mendelsohn)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:50:27 -0500
N4LQ hits the nail on the proverbial head!

The tuner/s I build and use are monster types (low loss) using the biggest
coils and capacitors I can find at flea markets. One is mounted on an 11 x
17 x 5 inch steel chassis, using lots of steatite and porcelain feedthroughs
and standoffs, a gigundo tape-wound roller coil, 0.5-inch spacing variable
caps, and brass strip interconnects (available at hobby shops. Even if it
arcs, there's not going to be any damage to it.

Another uses huge plug-in coils that are a foot long and five inches in
diameter. The split-stator cap is a foot long.

Why don't hams build anything anymore? Antenna tuners are as easy to build
as antennas! So are my Breune-type SWR bridges with big surplus glass piston
sampling capacitors that won't arc over if the voltage goes high during
off-tune condx.

Get rid of that junk MFJ mentality guys. Have some fun scrounging and
building QUALITY gear--in an area of ham radio that still lends itself
admirably to homebrewing!

Vy 73, AI2Q, Alex in Kennebunk, Maine .-.-.