[TenTec] SWR : Speed Weight Ratio

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SWR : Speed Weight Ratio
From: peplasters@rockford.com (Paul Plasters)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 12:33:56 -0600
Hi Dave;

Maybe this is why I never did like "bugs".  Most owners of them slide the
weight a long ways the wrong way!.  It is very hard for me to copy them.  And
all the while, they are congratulating them selves how fast they can send.  I
equate this to the music crowd that thinks "Louder is better" it doesn't matter
if you can under stand it or not to them, or even if it is actually painful to
you, they are LOUD!

K9PEP, Paul

At 10:54 AM 1/12/99 -0800, utahfolk@konnections.com wrote:

>I'll do this again ... A clock runs, goes tick tick tick at uniformly

>spaced moments in time ... (called the clock rate .. ticks/unit of time)

>The "space" (amount of time) between ticks is called a space. WOW! A

>much

>better term would be "timeslot", a period of time between uniformly

>spaced

>ticks.  Ticks are special .. they are in yer mind as infinitely thin

>timeslots, or markers, they have no "space" (Something for your muse!)

>You can now fill a timeslot with a MARK (which represents a "signal"

>such

>as pressing down on your key) and how much of the timeslot you fill is

>called WEIGHT.  If you fill the timeslot such that 50% of the time the

>mark is there, the weighting is 50%.  A mark that takes of the whole

>space between ticks constitutes 100% weighting and this is the ONLY

>CORRECT

>WEIGHT for CW and anything else is not pure CW! It's the LAW!  (Yes, I

>know

>CW is a mode and not a code .. don't rag me on it!)  A timeslot that is

>100% filled with a mark is called a DOT (anything less or more than 100%

>is

>NOT A DOT!)  So, we have have two things that make up the code: A SPACE

>or a timeslot and a DOT.  Next someone invented three consecutive dots,

>that is three timeslots in succession each filled 100%.  They called

>this

>the DASH.  A dash is 3 dots in sequence without any space!  RATIO is

>the measure of the length of the DASH to the length of the DOT, which

>for Morse Code is defined and FIXED to be 3.  Or in simpler form:

>RATIO = length(DASH)/length(DOT) = 3/1, taking the space or timeslot

>to be 1 unit of time ... If you play with ratio the code goes into

>pure mush very very quickly ... few ever play with ratio and most

>even have the wrong ratio in mind!  Read on ...

>Now if you only sent DOTs and DASHes you would have a very dull time,

>the

>signal would sound like one giant long KEY DOWN ... there is something

>missing!  Morse Code is NOT made up of DOTs and DASHes!  There are 3

>elements: The DOT, DASH and SPACE (timeslot).  If you now send a string

>of alternating DOTs and SPACEes the "DOT" all of a sudden appears in

>yer ear!  The clock runs on it's own set rate (we are not playing with

>speed in this discussion) so you have no control over that (in this

>discussion) so you can't change the length of a space or a timeslot.

>Hence there appears a "secondary" element of the code, a DOT followed

>by a SPACE which we shall call a DIT.  Same thing goes for three dots

>in a row followed by a space, i.e., a DASH followed by a space. And we

>call this thing a DAH.

>We now have the following RULES!!!  (if you violate the rules, you send

>MUSH!)

>              length(SPACE)=1 by definition.  length(DOT)=1

> [...]

      o~

  _ (/]_

</italic>Ride to Live

Live to Ride