[TenTec] PTO Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] PTO Problem
From: Michael O. Hyder" <N4NT@wireco.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 22:24:33 -0500
Hi Mike--

That is sort of a tough question.  The first thing which comes to mind is
that at the end of the long, skinny spring which forces the pistol toward
the front of the PTO, there is a ramp washer.  That spring mounts on a brass
rod which runs from the back to the front of the PTO.  If you either used
the wrong ramp washer (one designed for the rear of the big threaded shaft)
or you got that washer in there backwards or didn't lubricate it and the
spring well enough, you might have the problem you describe.  You can
identify that ramp washer by looking at its flat side.  You will see a
circular indentation which accommodates the spring.  The ramp washer should
fit so that when it mates with the pistol, the spring pushes evenly against
that washer and the washer is NOT canted.

You might also double check and make sure you have the correct number of
washers between the outside rear of the PTO and the bushing assembly.
Improper pressure against the bearing race can give squirrelly results, too.
I've never figured out that one.

I hope you get more responses from folks who may have a better idea than
mine.

Good luck.  Mike N4NT@wireco.net