[TenTec] Power switch on Delta; Homebrew power supplies

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Power switch on Delta; Homebrew power supplies
From: agulseth@juno.com (Al Gulseth)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:22:37 EST
Greetings all,

1. My dad's Delta (580) has developed a problem with the power switch,
and he said that a fellow he QSOs with quite frequently has encountered
the same thing. Dad contacted TT and was told the part is no longer
available. He is aware of the options of converting over to a rotary type
instead of the push-pull arrangement or putting in a jumper and using the
switch on the power supply itself. Does anyone have a lead on a direct
replacement for the audio pot/power switch that doesn't cost an arm and a
leg, or has anyone else ever encountered this problem (which probably
could also happen on older Omnis, Argosy, etc. as they all appear to use
the same setup) and if so, what was the solution?

2. In the discussion recently on homebrew power supplies, I have noticed
one glaring omission -- where to put the thing when it is finished (i.e.,
cabinet). RS sells a reasonably priced small cabinet that works well for
up to about a 3 or 4 amp supply, but above that physical size cabinet
prices seem to rise astronomically. The cost of the cabinet alone quickly
starts approaching that of an equivalent capacity used commercial supply,
essentially taking lower cost out of the picture as a factor. I mean, Bud
or Hammond products look great, but are $$$! Am I missing something, or
are all you other power supply "homebrewers" precision machinists with
access to a sheet metal shop? Or do you just use "open frame"
construction?

TNX/73,

Al WB5JNC

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]