[TenTec] filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] filters
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 11:00:20 -0000 (GMT)

Scott; you do not need to take the bottom off, unless you need to
change a filter. The right hand filter button is the "narrow" option
for the 9 mHz IF on the Omni-V. Hit the narrow button and tune thru a
steady carrier. Now release the narrow button and hit the 500 button
to activate the 500 Hz filter in the 6 mHz second IF.  Tune thru the
same carrier. You should hear the difference in bandwidth quite
easily. If you really do have a 1.8 kHz filter in that narrow
position, you can also copy SSB with it - if all the other filter
buttons are not activated. Thats another test.

Tuning thru a steady carrier will also show up a 250 Hz filter, if
you have one. They tune very sharply. Note that the button for any
slot where there is no installed filter will do nothing much !!

If you mainly use CW then I recommend a 500 Hz filter in the 9 mHz
first IF narrow position. I use that filter most of the time. Its
only disabled for SSB. I have tried a 250 there but in my view its
too narrow to be really useful. The 9 mHz 500 Hz filter  plus a second
500 Hz filter in the 6 mHz second IF addresses 99% of my CW
requirements. If I had no other filters I'd be comfortable with
just the two 500's for CW, and the stock 2.4 kHz filter for SSB.

I do have a 1.8 kHz filter installed (6 mHz second IF only) and a 250
Hz filter (also second IF only). I rarely need to use them.

Hope this is helpful  -- John G3JAG

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk