[TenTec] Radio Era Archives QST CD Roms

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Radio Era Archives QST CD Roms
From: walt@jove.acs.unt.edu (Walter S Delesandri)
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 07:16:24 -0600 (CST)
Hi, Pete....thought ya'll would be interested in this,
r.e. your comments about "techies"

We have three groups on our repeater....a very active machine
in north Tx.....we have the "no-code weenies" - the "cell-phone"
type you describe....
We have the "outlaw-truck-driving-CBer-with-Extra-but-no-
soldering-iron type.....they go "elsewhere" for their
code test -HI- and buy their coax with connectors already
installed- ("I don't know nuthin' bout that 'radio' stuff---Ah
got this 'guy'that does all mah teknikal stuff, ya know, come back..."

Then we have a handful of nerds (self included) who are always
talking "tech" - antennas, boatanchors, qrp, building/restoring,
etc.....Here's the funny part:

Some of the "techies" complained to the control ops (nazis, usually
fall into the first category) that they were tired of these
half-dozen guys talking about all that "radio" stuff that they
didn't understand!!  They were 'bored' with all that 'radio' technical
stuff on the machine.....needless to say, when we got wind of this,
we went on a week long discussion of antenna theory (one of our guys
is a theoretical mathemetician and physicist!)....It was a blast....
but ham radio, as we knew it, is VERY sick....I don't care, I'll
continue my BA/cw operation for the 30 or so years I have left....
but it is VERY sick......

BTW, the "technical" discussions won....we now have another reason
to continue! -HI

Walt

On
Wed, 10