[TenTec] WARC and Omni A

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] WARC and Omni A
From: Michael O. Hyder" <N4NT@wireco.net (Michael O. Hyder)
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 11:02:15 -0500
Hi Ed--

I understand you are talking about the Omni-B, but my experience with the
Omni-C may enlighten you somewhat.

My Omni-C came equipped for all the WARC bands (perhaps I needed to add a
crystal or two, don't remember that).  I got everything all set to operate
18 MHz and found that I had 2 to 4 watts output with the drive control all
the way DOWN.  It appears that because of the frequency mixing scheme (with
the 9 MHz IF) some undesired mixing products (including the second harmonic
of the IF and maybe even the second harmonic of the PTO) get passed on to
the driver stages and amplified as power output.  I tested my Omni-C just
the other night to see if my memory was correct -- it was.  The rig still
puts out about 3 watts on some unknown frequency(ies) with the drive control
all the way down.

I called Ten-Tec about this problem some 10-12 years ago (if memory serves).
They were aware of the problem and said that the only 'fix' they could
suggest was to replace my Omni-C with a Corsair.  The Delta 580 and Corsair
I were the first of the rigs using the new mixing scheme to allow proper
operation on the 18 MHz band.

That was (and is) my experience with the 18 MHz band.  The 10 and 24 MHz
bands work fine, but I do not know what you need to do to add them to an
Omni-B.

73 de Mike N4NT@wireco.net