[TenTec] Mobile in a Saab 900

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Mobile in a Saab 900
From: chuck@topsail.org (Chuck Murcko)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 18:08:32 -0500
Yes. I've run a Paragon (believe it or not, with the rig sitting on the
passenger seat) off and on in a 900 and 900S, although they were/are mid
80's vintage. No ill effects at all there, probably because the car's still
mostly steel, and uses only an analog controller for engine functions.

I used connections directly to the battery (actually to the high current
terminal block near the battery for + and the battery frame connection
for -) for power, fused at 40 amps at the battery end, and the magnetic
(fast) trip 20A breaker recommended by Ten Tec at the radio end. The power
can be fed into the passenger compartment without making any holes in the
firewall by routing the wire under the back corner of the hood and under the
top of the hinged edge of the door (the passenger door, in my case). I use
automotive 10 ga wire for the hookup. I use Hustler antennas mounted on the
rear bumper.

The only EMI/RFI problems I've had are from car to radio, and none on HF. I
had no ignition noise problems with the Paragon.

Hope this helps. Your mileage may very with a different rig.