[TenTec] RE: OMNI VI Connector 52 + other...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: OMNI VI Connector 52 + other...
From: ac5aa@juno.com (ac5aa@juno.com)
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 1999 13:01:34 -0600
I think I've figured out the disparity in observations of (1) clicks on
the sidetone, and (2) volume control setting.  I tend to run the DSP all
the time the rig is on.  This is an old habit from when I had my IC-765
and always used outboard DSP to eliminate the "sizzle" that was a
constant irritant from the IF chain in that rig.  I notice now that if I
turn the DSP off two things happen - suddenly I notice the clicks on the
sidetone, and the volume control needs to be advanced to the 9 - 10
o'clock position.  It appears the DSP output is hotter than the normal
audio chain.  This may or may not contribute to the scratchy noise in the
bottom 45-90 degrees of AF gain pot rotation since with DSP on it never
leaves this region.  Not much wipe action.

Just an observation.  I'd be reluctant to pull connector 52 because there
are numerous occasions when I have the RF and AF gain cranked almost wide
open for weak DX (esp. on 10m), and hitting the keyer with connector 52
off might just have my eardrums meeting in the middle!  (there's nothing
to block them after all - hi!)  Next time I have the rig top off, I'll
pull it and give it a try.

One more note - the "real time clock" in my  VI+ stopped tracking time in
our universe, and went off on its own.  The TT techs sent me a
replacement crystal and instructions for replacing and calibrating the
clock.  I spoke with one of them (I forget which) and his tips were
excellent in getting the work done.  The repair went quickly, and the
calibration has it so close that after three weeks I'm only off a
fraction of a second from WWV.

By the way, this is one of the best reflectors in which I've had the
privilege to participate.

        73,  Duane

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas