[TenTec] Paragon "PLL Out of Lock"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Paragon "PLL Out of Lock"
From: gfbike@iaxs.net (gfbike)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 21:15:38 -0500
Dozens of folks will probably tell you this, but TT had some trouble (a
LOT of trouble) with their solder pots when they made these. As a
result, the only reliable fix for your problem is the same fix I used
for mine. Remove the major loop and minor loop boards from the set.
Completely solder suck all the solder off the boards, being careful not
to let any parts fall onto the floor. Then clean any areas of obvious
contamination on the circuit foils. Then resolder all the connections.
You may find it helpful to do it in sections to avoid losing parts. If
you do everything correctly, you should not need to do any alignment at
all. There also is a raft of circuit modifications for this set as well,
specifically to address the problems of instability of the PLL's.

This was a MAJOR blunder on the part of TT and the fact that they have
the nerve to charge for repair of this obvious factory flaw has really
tainted my previously favorable opinion of TT.

Regards,

Gary