[TenTec] Covers

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Covers
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk)
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 1999 01:07:17 +0100 (BST)
Plastic covers for things like computer printers are available and
I'm sure someone makes covers for most rigs. I got a cover for my TR-7
at a ham radio store in upstate NY years ago. In the meantime, you
could make your own from strong plastics sheet. I think towelling is
too easily contaminated with dust. You need something impermeable.

Its amazing just how much dust there is in the air. I recently looked
inside a computer which runs continuously, under a bench top in the
shack which is a very small, relatively dust free room. The cooling
fan and area around it were dusty, as was the side wall of the power
supply, which also contains a fan.

Even my Hercules II fan, which has not seen that much use, has
collected dust. Short of fitting micron filters, all you can do is
cover the gear properly when its not in use. If you do not yourself
smoke, then keep smokers away ... OOOPS; I guess I must wear my
fire-proof shorts again.

John G3JAG

E-Mail: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk