[TenTec] Omni D and electrical noise from house wiring

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni D and electrical noise from house wiring
From: frohro@wwc.edu (Rob Frohne)
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 10:42:09 -0700

--------------F882088D467A9A051028EB38

Hi Jason,

I kind of sounds like your wiring is acting as a resonant circuit for
something that is oscillating.  Have you tried turning off all your
breakers except the one your radio is on, or better yet, running your
radio with a battery and turn everything off?

73,

Rob

--
Rob Frohne
E. F. Cross School of Engineering

--------------F882088D467A9A051028EB38

Hi Jason,
something that is oscillating.&nbsp; Have you tried turning off all your
breakers except the one your radio is on, or better yet, running your radio
with a battery and turn everything off?
if anyone has had a similar problem:</font></font>&nbsp;<font
color="#000000"><font size=-1>I
am using an Omni D with a 252 power supply, and run an MFJ antenna tuner
and RG-58 coax to a remote switchbox, which then selects 1 of 5 dipole
antennas. I have the rig grounded to a cold water pipe nearby.&nbsp; I
find that on 30 and 40 Meters, especially in the evenings, I get patches
of very loud electrical noise, which covers about a 10 KHz portion of the
frequency. It just comes in, seemingly out of nowhere, lasts for 4 or 5
minutes, and then moves up or down the band several KHz.&nbsp; One time
when the noise came in, destroying my QSO, I inadvertently turned off one
of the lights in my shack (there are 2 light circuits in the room, and
one in the hall nearby). The noise suddenly disappeared. I turned the light
back on, and it came back. I then turned off the other light in the shack,
and the noise disappeared again. Then I tried turning the hall light off
strange thing is, turning lights on and off in other parts of the house,
including those not even on the same breaker, seem to affect the noise.
The noise doesn't show up on 10, 15, or 80 meters near as bad. I also found
that the noise will show up on my old Hallicrafters S-76 receiver if I
tune it to the same freq. as my Omni D. Also strange is the fact the turning
off and on lights doesn't eliminate the noise- it just causes it to move
several KHz up or down the band.</font><font size=-1>Does anyone have and
idea on what could be causing this?</font>&nbsp;
size=-1>Jason&nbsp;&nbsp;
KA7UAM</font></blockquote>

HREF="http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro";>http://www.wwc.edu/~frohro</A>

--------------F882088D467A9A051028EB38--