[TenTec] Re: Mobile power wiring

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Mobile power wiring
From: dacalvin@us.ibm.com (dacalvin@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 09:08:18 -0500

I have the same question, and still haven't found a suitable answer.  Last
year, Dave Ingram wrote an article citing the use of a Fortex antenna mount
on his Camaro and how pleased he was with it.  About the same time, I saw
one at the Dallas Ham-Com convention.  It was an excellent mount that tied
back into the car frame and exited the vehicle near the rear corner of the
car.  This is exactly what I was looking for as I plan to use HF mobile
while taking long trips - exactly the time I need to be getting into the
trunk at stops (and a rear-center mounted antenna would make that more
difficult).  I pursued the Fortex connection and have finally given up on
it.  Apparently the person who made these custom mounts has gone out of
business.  My Bonneville has lots of plastic fairings on it, so doing any
kind of mounting other than the trailer hitch variety will require custom
work to get from something solid underneath out to the corner where I can
attach the Hustler.   So if anyone is familiar with something that mounts
this way, I'd be interested.  I'm not interested in deck-mounting an HF
antenna - it will be too close to the other antennas (2m, BC, 440?).
Besides I have a spare Texas Bugcatcher that I might want to try, and it
will need something more rugged!

     73,  Duane   AC5AA

Duane A. Calvin
Server Systems Test Engineer
Dept. 76TS   RS/6000 - SP Nodes
IBM Austin, TX      >O<     Tie: 793-3368

Paul Plasters <peplasters@rockford.com> on 04/23/99 06:37:37 AM