[TenTec] "LEST WE FORGET"

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] "LEST WE FORGET"
From: k5pgw@popalex1.linknet.net (k5pgw)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 16:47:04 -0500 (CDT)
I must confess!!!!! I have sinned!!! I bought a Japanese radio!!! In over 40
years of hamming I HAVE NEVER BEFORE BOUGHT A JAPANESE HF RADIO. I BECAME
WEAK AND TRANSGRESSED AND OH GOD!!! AND ALL OF HAMDOM PLEASE FORGIVE ME!! It
was an Icom 735, bought at Belton, TX hamfest on recommendation of a couple
of ten tec reflector desciples in response to my querry about a good mobile
rig since Ten Tec has only the Scout with one VFO and I wanted two vfos. I
have a great Scout but wanted two vfos. I GOT TWO VFOS AND THEY BOTH DRIFT
200 HZ DURING 45 MINUTE WARMUP.

The kicker is that today, shortly after 1:00 o'clock p.m. Pst., I telephoned
the technical help department at ICOM. I was on hold 15 minutes while a
recording of TOKYO ROSE attempted to convince me that Icom appreciated my
call and wanted to talk to me, but first they wanted me to buy the
no-license citizen radios, avionics, marine radios and the IC746. I finally
hung up after 15 minutes of long distance charges and telephoned back and
got 20 minutes additional of recorded TOYKO ROSE saying the same "TRASH"
about how much ICOM LOVED ME, WANTED MY MONEY, AND HOW ICOM WAS THE GREATEST
IN THE WORLD. I have now spent 35 minutes of long distance charges, have an
ICOM DRIFTMASTER and don't even to get to talk to a JAP I CAN'T UNDERSTAND.
So if you hear me on the band just turn your knob to the right about one
eigth of an inch every 15 minutes and we can talk to each other and at the
end of 45 minutes you can stop turning your knob to the right. You may have
to start to the left then, but I believe it will eventually slow down.

You cannot communicate with ICOM via email because they don't have that
service. State of the art company, better than the rest but not up to DRAKE
yet! You can email Bill Frost about rigs they haven't made in years and he
will give you technical advice the same day VIA EMAIL.  You can telephone
TEN TEC and talk to a live red blooded American who speaks hillbilly and get
a wonderful answer that you can understand perfectly, and get parts all in
the same breath at a VERY LOW PRICE  and often free. ICOM DIDN'T EVEN SAY
"NO TICKEY, NO LAUNDRY".  I would have at least appreciated that response
from them.

LEST WE FORGET!!!!as I did, I now remember why my shack and vans are full of
(6) Ten Tec xcvrs, Drake Twins, Collins Kwm2 and accessories, Heath, and
even a Swan/Cubic. I NOW REMEMBER WHY I BOUGHT THOSE WONDERFUL AMERICAN MADE
BEAUTIES. OH, I FEEL SO DIRTY, WILL I EVER BE ABLE TO LOOK A REAL RED
BLOODED AMERICAN HAM IN THE EYE AGAIN MUCH LESS TALK TO ONE. Please remember
me in your thoughts and meditations and also please forgive me for being so
longwinded, but when you are hurting, it helps to be able to talk to someone
about it. Thank you my good friends for being there and who knows, you
probably helped keep me from going to the local oriental resturant and
picking up the food bar and tossing it through the air and yelling all sorts
of grunts, yells and  KUNG FU MOTIONS AND SOUNDS. I may not now have to
spend the night in jail and I can stay home and "PLAY CHASE THE JAP (radio)
WITH THE AMERICAN (radio)" .  73 and always remember, "there's no place like
home, and no folks like ours". John King K5PGW