[TenTec] Re: QRNN

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: QRNN
From: royanjoy@ncn.net (Roy Koeppe)
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 10:06:41 -0500
Concerning...

"think I'd take MFJs advice and stay with semi-QSK triggered by the
keyer output, not by RF. If they are not comfortable with their relay
following the keying, then I'm not comfortable with it either. As for
JPS, I am uneasy about RF switching because that means switching with
RF actually hitting the circuitry. Hot switching 100w of RF is usually
not very good news. But then I do not have the internal circuit of
the JPS box, so I do not know (or if) how they deal with the issue.
If anyone knows, then I'm sure we would all be interested."

It should be possible with any brand of noise canceler device to use a
separate noise sensing antenna, thereby eliminating any need for relay
operation within the unit or otherwise. I have plans for a  completely
passive noise canceling system, using a separate antenna, which can be
located as near to the QRNN source as possible, thereby giving an advantage
to its function. So whether or not the device is active or passive should
make no difference. (Except a longer sensing antenna is required with a
passive system). Just provide protection from RF damage to the unit if you
are running QRO, such as a combo of pilot lamp plus 1N914 diodes, etc.

PS...In the old CW prosign definition books, man made noise is listed as
QRNN as opposed to QRN which is natural, atmospheric noise.

73,   Roy    K6XK            Iowa outback