[TenTec] Why not Ten-Tec?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Why not Ten-Tec?
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 10:05:11 EDT
AA4NN writes:

<<  I guess the deal is, why aren't more people buying Ten-Tec rigs?  Why do
so many contesters not have Ten-Tec equipment?  Beats me.  >>

I think good part of "blame" goes to Ten-Tec for insufficient marketing. I
have been around radio and contesting for over 40 years, and if I didn't
stumble on this reflector, read some archives, saw the "religious" postings
about T-T, I would have stayed with heavily modified rice boxes. (I never
owned JA car, always American because of size, safety, ease of maintenance.)
Nowhere you see T-T advertised as top notch, contester's worthy radios. Other
manufacturers would show the picture of contester and other rigs. The point
is: contesters know the best, demand the best and what they use, "must be
good," so "regular" ham then thinks: "I better get that radio, it must be
good".
        Being accomplished contester (some 16 world records in CQ WW and WPX
contests) and engineer - home brewer, I offered my services to some
manufacturers. I offered to work with their designers to improve design of
radios and to be "used" for advertising. Naaah! They don't need that. They
know better!
        In car racing, it is a must to work with race drivers and mechanics,
that's where leading edge technology,advertising and grueling tests come
from. In ham radio? Things can't make a sense. It would be weird! Hams do
"hunting" on lists and nets, manufacturers "know" the best, they don't need
"stinkin'" hams to tell them what they should put in the radios. This is
where we are.
        Back to me and T-T. I needed luggable, expedition amp (separate PS),
Titan came for sale, I bought it. It worked without hitch (got SA 80m WPX
record as P40A and beat couple world records on 160 as VA1A), then after
reading praises on the TT reflector, I snatched used Omni VI +3. Got InRad
filters, played little bit with it and I like it a lot. I will do comparison
with my modified (SignalOne-d) IC 781, TS870, TS930 and Drake C-line and
determine order of "goodness" and see which rigs stay in the shack. So far I
am impressed with Omni and I am looking into some adaptations and possible
improvements.
        So instead of working with manufacturers, I will keep buying second
hand radios, keep modifying them and have fun. My friend K7GCO wrote
extensive letters to ham radio manufacturers on the subject of marketing and
customer support/care. Not much reaction. Maybe someday somebody will wake
up. All we can do is vote with our dollars.
        So, I thank you T-T reflectorees for making noise about the virtues
of Ten-Tec radios, bringing my attention to them and making me to buy them
(Omni C is on the way). Why didn't I buy them earlier? Every time I looked at
one of them, packaging looked few years behind current status, home-brewy,
not worth the price. But if RX performance is better than anyone else's, I am
willing to live with it, and some of that "empty" space inside might come
handy for modifications. I am looking forward to give the T-T line some
workout in the contests and see how they can hack it. I don't mind driving
"ugly" T-T if it is better.
        Maybe some of those good looking boys in Ten-Tec ads will get the
"picture" and open up their minds and do something for the benefit of us
customers, and themselves too. Hello!?!
        This sums it up why not, at least from this end. Nice to be in this
TT family, I will feed back some of my findings as I progress. Thanks again
gang!
See you all in WPX CW on 160 from VA1A, see if I can hear you better now.

73
Yuri Blanarovich
K3BU, VE3BMV, VE1BY, P40A, ex OK3BU etc.
one of Tesla RC Sparks: N2EE, NT1E, VA1A
home of '60 Caddy, 68 Caddy, 64 T-bird, 68 Cougar, 72 LeSabre Radiomobile
and Ten-Tec Titan, Omni VI+, Omni-C