[TenTec] Pegasus, is a TWO part radio, important

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus, is a TWO part radio, important
From: kayser@king.igs.net (L. Kayser)
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 09:34:35 -0400
Greetings:

The Ten Tec reflector continues to show a large misunderstanding of what
the new Pegasus brings to the future of amateur radio.

Pegasus MUST be viewed as a "two part radio".  The first part is the Radio
unit itself, the box some 10 x 5.5 x 10 inches and weighing about 8 lbs. or
so.

The SECOND part is the control software. This will come eventually in many
varieties, one or more varieties from Ten Tec, other varieties from other
software creators and vendors.  Will the radio run RTTY and the radio
interface in a single computer?  YES by definition this will happen.  Will
it happen on a 10 year old 386SX notebook computer, probably NO, but just
maybe a simple interface might be made to work.  The only question is WHEN
will additional software for the Pegasus radio be available.

Software will come in all shapes and varieties, some will include full
logging programs, some include contest logging processes.  The mid to high
end computers we have now will easily handle the integrated logging,
application digital, cw, what ever, and radio control functions.

For each of you who are interested in the new Pegasus, remember the radio
comes in TWO parts and the Software part will be your choice.  Some of us
may not want features beyond those supplied in the Ten Tec software
provided with the radio.  Others will want specialty software for digital
modes, special voice nets, dxing, and in my case CW operation.

It is highly likely that if there is a market demand, Pegasus will
eventually support some form of digital voice transmission using the Linux
 operating system.  Yes it could be done, even today, with a Sound Card in
a PC - all this type of thing is possible.

It is also without question that special control heads, replacing the
portable PC suggested by some, will be made up for mobile and other special
forms of operations.

Will Pegasus be useable in a remote control station?  Absolutely, just as
my TS-570SG and some Kachina radios are being used today.

There are a few significant issues of concern for Pegasus.  Will the radio
include an internal antenna tuner?  In addition, will Pegasus monitor the
antenna SWR continuously?  The later is critical when one uses the radio
mobile or in a remote setup.  I have lost two hamstick whips off the roof
mount on my small truck in the last year.  The radio needs to stop
transmitting when the SWR goes nuts after you leave the top half of the
antenna on a low tree branch.  This is just one example of a function that
is needed in this type of radio that is different from our current
yacomwood model radios.

The only question about Pegasus is will it include the essential functions,
sometimes known as "show stoppers", that will allow the new radio to be the
BIG STEP UP for many many amateurs who will use it many many different
ways.   Many of these "show stoppers" will not be immediately apparent -
one sure thing is however - if Pegasus reflects the design efforts of a
large enough group of diverse amateurs then there is great hope for the new
radio.  Only time will tell about this issue.

Larry VA3LK