[TenTec] Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus
From: pinskeep@iglou.com (Peter Inskeep)
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 13:52:17 -0400

--------------177D87ED2561AEAB924E85EB

Several questions on the Pegasus I may be able to answer???

To operate cw one must insert a key or keyer in the key socket in the
Pegasus itself.  Not unlike the Omni or Delta 580 or whatever.  I
recall it as being a mini - not an rca jack.  There is no facility at
present to just type on the keyboard from within the Pegasus program
on your computer to send code.

However, if you have a keyboard sending program that is windows
compatible, and that can multi-task, and that won't steal the last
available serial port, you could open the keying program in a window
and the Pegasus in another window, and send from the keying program
out a separate cable and into the keying port on the Pegasus.  For
example, I have CT, a contesting program.  It is not a windows
program.  However, it will run in a "DOS" Window on my windows 95.  I
output from the parallel port into the back of my Omni.  I presume
that I could do exactly the same thing with the Pegasus.  Only
difference is that I would have one window open for CT, and a
different window open for the Pegasus, both on the same screen at the
same time.  Mind you, I've not done this, but they said that Pegasus
will successfully multi-task.

I specifically asked about the software being available for Linux.
They said that they have no plans to program for the Pegasus in
Linux.  So, us Linux users had better hope that the WINE emulation
project builds steam.  That would, in theory, enable one to run
windows programs from the Linux X Window platform (I guess).

I am sure the radio could care less what program or what operating
system is generating the signals input to it via the serial port.
What the programmer would need to know, however, is what kinds of
signals are needed to do what.  While I dabble in C on Linux, I don't
know enough to do more than make my serial port send dots and dashes
to my Omni, and it took me a long time to get that far.

Creating a pretty interface in X Windows is something left for the
experts.  However, since Linux multi-tasks so well, it would no doubt
be an awesome way to run a radio if one liked doing things that way.

If the truth be known, I ain't no computer expert, nor am I a radio
expert.  I run cw 99.5% of the time and email my kids when they will
answer.  So, the above may be all wet for all I know.  Just what I
figured out from talking to TT at the show.
Pete, NO2D
Pewee Valley, KY

Steve Baron wrote:

> It is hard to see how a radio would know what operating system was
> being used to run a program that was sending commands ver the serial
> port.
>
>      From: Chuck Wright <k4nys@ibm.net>Do not recall if this
>      has been addressed yet.So if this is a redundant post, I
>      apologize in advance! Any idea on whether the Pegasus
>      willhave support for Unix/Linux based PCs? Certainly hope
>      so!!!

--------------177D87ED2561AEAB924E85EB

Several questions on the Pegasus I may be able to answer???
Pegasus itself.&nbsp; Not unlike the Omni or Delta 580 or whatever.&nbsp;
I recall it as being a mini - not an rca jack.&nbsp; There is no facility
at present to just type on the keyboard from within the Pegasus program
on your computer to send code.
and that can multi-task, and that won't steal the last available serial
port, you could open the keying program in a window and the Pegasus in
another window, and send from the keying program out a separate cable and
into the keying port on the Pegasus.&nbsp; For example, I have CT, a contesting
program.&nbsp; It is not a windows program.&nbsp; However, it will run
in a "DOS" Window on my windows 95.&nbsp; I output from the parallel port
into the back of my Omni.&nbsp; I presume that I could do exactly the same
thing with the Pegasus.&nbsp; Only difference is that I would have one
window open for CT, and a different window open for the Pegasus, both on
the same screen at the same time.&nbsp; Mind you, I've not done this, but
they said that Pegasus will successfully multi-task.
They said that they have no plans to program for the Pegasus in Linux.&nbsp;
So, us Linux users had better hope that the WINE emulation project builds
steam.&nbsp; That would, in theory, enable one to run windows programs
from the Linux X Window platform (I guess).
is generating the signals input to it via the serial port.&nbsp; What the
programmer would need to know, however, is what kinds of signals are needed
to do what.&nbsp; While I dabble in C on Linux, I don't know enough to
do more than make my serial port send dots and dashes to my Omni, and it
took me a long time to get that far.
experts.&nbsp;
However, since Linux multi-tasks so well, it would no doubt be an awesome
way to run a radio if one liked doing things that way.
expert.&nbsp; I run cw 99.5% of the time and email my kids when they will
answer.&nbsp; So, the above may be all wet for all I know.&nbsp; Just what
I figured out from talking to TT at the show.
is hard to see how a radio would know what operating system was being used
to run a program that was sending commands ver the serial port.</font></font>
style="BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT:
</b>Chuck Wright &lt;<a
New Roman"><font size=+1>Do
not recall if this has been addressed yet.</font></font><font face="Times New
Roman"><font size=+1>So
if this is a redundant post, I apologize in advance</font>!</font>&nbsp;<font
face="Times New Roman"><font size=+1>Any
idea on whether the Pegasus will</font></font><font face="Times New
Roman"><font size=+1>have
support for Unix/Linux based PCs?</font></font>&nbsp;<font face="Times New
Roman"><font size=+1>Certainly

--------------177D87ED2561AEAB924E85EB--