[TenTec] Caution on Heil Headphone Adapter Cables

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Caution on Heil Headphone Adapter Cables
From: brimail@home.com (Brian J Keegan)
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 06:31:18 -0400
This past January I bought my wife a Heil Proset 5 with the hand switch and
a Kenwood adapter cable. Last week she had trouble with the handswitch while
we were on vacation in Maine. She hadn't used it for a few months as she
grew to prefer a footswitch at home. I discovered an ugly solder joint in
the 8 pin connector had seperated. But ALL the solder connections were ugly.
Either too much or barely enough solder. Further investigating reveiled
excess wire on one of the leads in the PTT jack was very, very close to the
other contact. In addition the stress fold overs (the two flaps that are
supposed to be folded over onto the cable jacket) of both the PTT and MIC
jacks are not used. They don't even leave enough jacket for the user to fold
them onto. This means when you create pull on these two plugs during normal
use all the stress is on the solder connections.

This past Tuesday I called the big time ham radio supply house who sold
these items to us and after some discussion was able to convince him to send
us a replacement. (Originally he said we had to send it to Heil for repair
or buy a new one. He couldn't exchange it as "defective") The replacement
arrived yesterday (very fast service) and don't ya know it has the same
unprofessional quality? Unreal!
Next time I'll take the time to make my own.

We do, however, highly recommend the headset. It's absolutely the best. It's
light, receive audio sounds great, and we get nothing but rave audio
reports. Oh yeah, she has the "rag chew" cartridge.

I am in no way affiliated with Heil. Just an 90% satisfied customer passing
on some thoughts spurred on by a recent thread.

Brian KF2HC