[TenTec] Re: : New Ten Tec - Pegasus LOW BAND!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: : New Ten Tec - Pegasus LOW BAND!
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:05:20 -0700 (PDT)
I'm certainly getting ready for the new era.  I just
restored a Collins 32V-2 to use with my 75A-4.  I
recently discovered that Collins radios are all Y2K
compliant so I'm keeping some around Hi Hi. I'm sure
the Pegasus will sell nicely and I may even get one
after I find a nice Paragon II to play with.  But I'll
also keep the boatanchors just so I can see real
electronics in action.

--- Larry Kayser <kayser@king.igs.net> wrote:

> Wow! Some people sure know more than I do about the
> new Pegasus radio!
>
> I bet if I was able to look at the bottom of the
> Pegasus specification sheet
> I would find a small notice that says to the effect
> that all specifications
> subject to change without notice.
>
> I have great confidence that this is so.
>
> I also have great confidence that some of the
> specifications will change
> before we see the first radios in July.
>
> I also have an email that says that the Pegasus
> control protocol will be
> available by when the radio is available.
>
> When we get the yacomwood responses to the Kachina
> and Pegasus radios some
> time in the future we will have more to discuss,
> they wont get it all
> "right" either.
>
> One thing for sure, we are entering a new era.  Much
> of the discussion about
> software controlled radios is in terms of the era
> past, such as operating
> systems and existing radio control protocols.  What
> will be the new issues
> that the new era presents us?  At least one of the
> new issues will be
> "latency".  I bet there will be others, the things
> that start to put some
> outer bounds on the new era.
>
> Just to start your thinking processes about the new
> era.  The new radios are
> physically radically different, they also present
> very different
> manufacturing costs.  Is the resulting change in
> economics introduce the
> time when the manufacturing also enters a new era?
> Might the manufacturing
> jobs shift quickly back to the US?  The new value in
> the new radios might be
> in solving "new" problems rather than responding to
> the old era issues.
>
> What will be the value of 5 year old yacomwoods in 5
> years as compared to
> the value of 5 year old yacomwoods today?  If the
> economics change in
> manufacturing and owning costs - might this make the
> future value of 5 year
> old radios different than we might expect today?
>
> Additional input, go look at the pictures of the
> inside of the Pegasus.  Not
> much inside anymore.  The direct labour input per
> unit might be around 4
> hours or 5 hours (if they are using SMT) total
> including all overheads!
> Mechanical simplicity of the new radios will have a
> massive change in the
> life cycle owning costs for us amateurs.  When the
> economics change,
> everything else changes along with it.
>
> Lets try some new thinking and thoughtful discussion
> for the new era....
>
> 73
>
> Larry
> VA3LK
>

> --
> FAQ on WWW:
> http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm
> [...]

===
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.

"No man is safe while the congress is in session" (Will Rogers)