[TenTec] Thank Goodness for TT Scout!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Thank Goodness for TT Scout!
From: cshyde@yahoo.com (Carl Hyde)
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 13:32:24 -0700 (PDT)
I was a guest operator at one of the local clubs here
in Southern New Jersey Saturday night.  I worked 80
meter voice and 20 meter CW.  I got assigned to the 20
meter cw station where they had a Kenmore TS-870 with
electronic keyer and a networked PC using CT software.
Well one contact into my shift and the Kenmore was
overwhelmed by the adjacent channel.  Having never sen
one before I was at a loss on how to narrow down the
bandwidth.  I finally found one control that got it
working OK.  Well then another group of operators got
mixed up on their frequencies and tuned a linear into
the 20 meter station amd fried the front end of the
Kenmore.  Now this could hapen to anyone and is
certainly no fault of the radio.  Luckily I had my
scout in the truck and grabbed it for the cw station.
The keyer plugged right in and the only thing lost was
some of the logging automation via the RS-232
interface.  But I was able to log many more contacts
per 15 minute period with the scout than with the
Kenmore because of the continuous filtering.  The next
operator asked me how to work it and I showed him the
two knobs and said goodnight.  Great radio and a
no-brainer for CW.

===
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.

"No man is safe while the congress is in session" (Will Rogers)