[TenTec] AGC: ON or OFF Survey

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] AGC: ON or OFF Survey
From: JTBRANNIGAN@prodigy.net (JAMES T BRANNIGAN)
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 15:31:03 -0400
Jim,
In the old days we backed off on the RF gain because the AGC couldn't handle
CW and there was not enough BFO injection.  Couple that with front ends and
mixers that would overload on strong signals.
Receivers have come a long way since then (well, most of them)
I leave the AGC on and back off on the RF gain.  This cuts down on
background noise and helps the signal to "stand out". Leaving the AGC on
prevents "ear poppers" from strong signals while tuning across the band.
Noise blankers, DSP, notch filters, etc. are used as needed

Jim