[TenTec] Whine in Scout audio; high level of IF noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Whine in Scout audio; high level of IF noise
From: bcotter@pop.uky.edu (Bill Cotter)
Date: Tue, 06 Jul 1999 11:15:28 -0400
After having read many glowing reports about the Scout, I recently
purchased a used one for vacation time. The rig really works nice
on all the bands I have modules for, and the size is great for
portable operation. On my trip this year I used it with an Astron
AC supply and with large gel-cell batteries for several QSO's and FD.

One of the first 'irregularities' I noticed was the low-level tone
in the background audio. Volume up or down there was a persistent
whine (1-3kHz), which I assumed to be microprocessor or display
related. I didn't pay much attention to it at first, but it grew on
me the longer I used it and made the FD operations tiring. I also
experienced a high level of IF noise (determined by removing the
band module) regardless of the bandwidth settings. The level of
which there was not much difference with or without an antenna on
20m/10m. My second rig (NC-20) was MUCH quieter on 20m.

My questions to all the Scout users out there, are these behaviours
normal?? A noisy receiver seems out-of-character for Ten Tec. I
realize that this is no OMNI-VI+ or Corsair-II, but the rx
circuitry is quite state-of-the-art for having these problems.
Perhaps I have something wrong with the rig?? I would like to hear
your thoughts and comments.......

tnx es 73 bill n4alg

Bill Cotter                            Mail:   bcotter@pop.uky.edu
Technical Systems Project Manager      ICQ:    13117266
VPIS Special Projects Office           Pager:  (606) 259-6082
McVey Hall, Room-100                   Phone:  (606) 323-6474
University of Kentucky                 FAX:    (606) 323-1978
Lexington, KY 40506-0045               Home:   (606) 887-5563,2402