[TenTec] [Ten Tec] Omni VI plus - noise

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] [Ten Tec] Omni VI plus - noise
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 19 Jul 1999 11:24:52 -0500
Piotr,
The Omni VI is more sensitive than Japanese radios, and thus you will normally
hear the slight noise of the digital portions!  This is not a problem, for as
you point out, if you reduce the RF gain control, you do not have the
overload, (and that is what you get with maximum RF gain and a decent
antenna).

When you connect a resonant antenna, even a dipole, and the noise goes away,
you know that you DO NOT have a problem.  Enjoy your more sensitive receiver
of the OMNI VI, and understand, it was OLD radios that required you to run the
RF gain at max all the time, today, we must use the RF gain depending on
European band conditions, or other band conditions, and run less gain in
crowded bands, or more gain, if we are in some remote region.

73, Stuart K5KVH