[TenTec] Comparison TT/Kachina

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Comparison TT/Kachina
From: knoxm@scioto.net (Michael A. Knox)
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 23:17:45 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01BEE44F.B842FDE0

I thought the comparison posted by Bob Helm was very interesting.  I was =
at the Dayton Hamvention on Friday when the doors opened and headed =
straight for the Ten-Tec booth.  At that time, there weren't many people =
around the booth and Phil and I got the full demonstration and oration =
on the Pagasus from Tom at TenTec.

The first statement out of his mouth was about the reciever NOT having =
as good a spec. as the Kachina, but it is also only 40% of the cost.  =
Will it meet or beat the Kachina in a heads up comparison.  Well, I =
seriously doubt it....but I also seriously doubt it was ever intented =
to.

I believe the Pegasus was designed to fill a niche.....something for us =
to buy and learn a little about what is more than likely the future of =
amateur radio design at a cost that will satisfy more pocket books than =
the Kachina.  What will the Pagasus do in the future?  None of us =
outside of Ten-Tec can do more than speculate.  But, with the interest =
it has generated, I would bet there are a lot more things on the table =
than any of us can guess.

The Kachina and Pegasus or very interesting indeed.  Just look at the =
discussion they have created just on this reflector.  Will I buy a =
Kachina or a Pegasus?  Well, I am sure I will buy the Pegasus, why....as =
I look at my bench FULL of TenTec gear I don't even have to ask myself =
that question.  Blind loyalty...not really, but at $895.00 they will =
fill that niche very nicely.

It is said that we need to compare apples to apples....as with any other =
purchase of amateur gear we all need to weigh the needs, wants and =
necessary bells and whistles when we make a purchase.  I think that the =
only thing that should really worry the people at Kachina, is the price. =
 Both "virtual" radios are and will be fine equipment, of this I am =
certain.  And both will fill the niche they were designed for.  Isn't =
competion great!

Mike - KC8WR

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01BEE44F.B842FDE0

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I thought the comparison posted by =
Bob Helm was=20
very interesting.&nbsp; I was at the Dayton Hamvention on Friday when =
the doors=20
opened and headed straight for the Ten-Tec booth.&nbsp; At that time, =
there=20
weren't many people around the booth and Phil and I got the full =
demonstration=20
and oration on the Pagasus from Tom at TenTec.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The first statement out of his mouth =
was about=20
the reciever NOT having as good a spec. as the Kachina, but it is also =
only 40%=20
of the cost.&nbsp; Will it meet or beat the Kachina in a heads up=20
comparison.&nbsp; Well, I seriously doubt it....but I also seriously =
doubt it=20
was ever intented to.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>I believe the Pegasus was designed =
to fill a=20
niche.....something for us to buy and learn a little about what is more =
than=20
likely the future of amateur radio design at a cost that will satisfy =
more=20
pocket books than the Kachina.&nbsp; What will the Pagasus do in the=20
future?&nbsp; None of us outside of Ten-Tec can do more than =
speculate.&nbsp;=20
But, with the interest it has generated, I would bet there are a lot =
more things=20
on the table than any of us can guess.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>The Kachina and Pegasus or very =
interesting=20
indeed.&nbsp; Just look at the discussion they have created just on this =

reflector.&nbsp; Will I buy a Kachina or a Pegasus?&nbsp; Well, I am =
sure I will=20
buy the Pegasus, why....as I look at my bench FULL of TenTec gear I =
don't even=20
have to ask myself that question.&nbsp; Blind loyalty...not really, but =
at=20
$895.00 they will fill that niche very nicely.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>It is said that we need to compare apples to =
apples....as with=20
any other purchase of amateur gear we all need to weigh the needs, wants =
and=20
necessary bells and whistles when we make a purchase.&nbsp; I think that =
the=20
only thing that should really worry the people at Kachina, is the =
price.&nbsp;=20
Both &quot;virtual&quot; radios are and will be fine equipment, of this =
I am=20
certain.&nbsp; And both will fill the niche they were designed =
for.&nbsp; Isn't=20
competion great!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Mike - KC8WR</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0066_01BEE44F.B842FDE0--