[TenTec] Argonaut 509 and mic problems

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argonaut 509 and mic problems
From: mlandmann@netzero.net (Mike Landmann)
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 05:12:52 -0400
I need some help with a Turner 350 Hi-Z mic and my model 509 Argonaut.  I just
got the mic, which came without a plug, so I could start using phone with my
Argonaut, but I have a wiring problem.  The manual says, in 2 places, to hook
the tip to PTT, the band to the mic, and sleeve or barrel to ground.  The mic
connections are audio white, PTT red and black (ground).  I wired it with the
tip to red, band to white, and black and shield to the barrel, but when I push
the PTT on the mic, even with the drive at minimum on the radio, I get a max
deflection on the meter with the switch on the FWD position.  I looked at the
circuit diagram for the radio, and it seems the tip of the mic should go to the
audio, as it goes to the SSB module, and the band should go to PTT since it
goes to the same line as the key.  Is this correct?  I don't want to take it
apart to redo it if I'm missing anything else.

Thanks,

Mike Landmann
KA6DLN
mlandmann@netzero.net