[TenTec] Humble Pie - An incredible antenna

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Humble Pie - An incredible antenna
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:17:31 -0500
Great story, Paul.

There is no reason for anyone to not be on the air from wherever
they live.  There is always a way to string an antenna.

I lived in an apartment and operated with a 40m dipole routed
much like your's was throughout the apartment and running an HW-8
off a lantern battery.  I had a great time.

Next, I moved in to a house in a subdivision fwith deed
restrictions against outside antennas ("No outside antennas are
permitted.").  So, in a short time, I had five dipoles in the
attic:  a n/s 10m dipole, an e/w 10m dipole; a 15m dipole, a 20m
dipole, and a 40m dipole.  (the two ten meter dipoles were really
needed and were very effective.).  Running a Ten-Tec 544 at 100w,
I worked 180 countries on CW and SSB.  Oh yeah, it took some
work--attics in Houston in May are never comfortable AND this was
in the time BEFORE the MFJ 259--but all antennas were finally
made resonant in the CW portions of their respective bands; I
only needed a tuner when running SSB (not very often).

So, for anyone feeling like they are constrained by antenna
limitations to the point they are not on the air and as Gloria
Estefan sings, "Get on your feet.  Get up and make it happen!"

73,
dale, kg5u