[TenTec] Battery Operation

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Battery Operation
From: thimm@bellsouth.net (Thimmesch)
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 23:01:30 -0500
        T-T er's
        Here's my rundown on battery operation of radios. I only operate off
batteries and it gets interesting.
        My  B&W Hallmark 12" RTTY monitor and TV receiver still has a viewable
picture at 9vdc.
        My drifty TR 7 really starts drifting and chirping at 10.5vdc.
        My Corsair starts drifting away at 10.1vdc.
        My HW104 stops working at 11.9vdc. I thought it had defective components
in it till I started hearing about radios such as the Scout. The HW104 is
no longer on my desk.
        The winner, all time heavyweight battery killer, still putting out 500w
at
9vdc is Herc II. It needs its own battery as no other can take a battery so
low so quick.
        Other pitfalls of battery operation are reverse polarity and on 100w
class
transceivers such as the TR 7 the finals do not disconnect from the 12vdc
when the radio is turned off, they run away and self destruct when one is
not present.
        Cures are such as the breaker T-T requires on the Corsair when operating
off batteries. I turn the Corsair on and off with this breaker. I modified
the TR 7 with an internal relay that closes and puts power to the finals
when power is turned on from the on-off front panel switch, getting the
12vdc to power the relay after the reverse protection diode after the
internal fuse.
        The Corsair has low battery drain in receive compared to the TR 7 and of
course has that fine QSK. A fine preformer at Field Day off of batteries.
        I would like to hear from others who have experiece with radios which
take
advantage of a battery's full capacity by operating down to 10.5vdc. I
would also like to hear from the operators who have radios such as the
Scout and HW 104 whose 13.8vdc radios will not operate on a 12vdc battery.
                        73's
                        Rich WA5NYG