[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec OMNI-D

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec OMNI-D
From: dslosty@pipeline.com (dslosty)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 00:34:44 -0700
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
> Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 19:06:03 -0400
> From: "Brian Carling" <af4k@earthlink.net>
> Subject: [TenTec] OMNI-D
>
> Hi guys,
>
> I was on the "other" list that is mostly asleep....
> trying to find out which BANDS a TenTec OMNI-D covers?????
>
> Please let me know - since i have one on the way, with the PS and a Shure
> 444 mic.
>
> If you had the choice between a TenTec OMNI-D and a DELTA, which one
> would you go with? Both rigs have the extra filters for CW and SSB. What
> are the differences?
>
> Thanks folks
> 73 de AF4K

The OMNI-D covers the bands from 160 thru 10 mtrs, NOT including the
WARC bands. As it came from the factory, it also had 10 - 10.5MHz
receive
only. Many users have added a 30 meter transmit kit which enabled full
operation
on that band. There is an aux bandswitch position which can be used for
one
additional WARC band.  The WARC modification kits are no longer
available from
Ten-Tec but some of the component info is available. The big problem is
getting or making the low pass filter and bandpass filter coils.
I recently bought one of the last kits to enable 30 mtrs from the HAM
SHACK of
Evansville, IL for my OMNI-D. I don't think they have any left.

The OMNI-D, series A had only provisions for the audio CW filter.
The OMNI-D, series B had a rotary filter switch added which allowed use
of optional 1.8 and .5KHz filters at the same time as the audio filter.
In the .5KHz filter position the audio filter was also in use.
Also in the "B" version, the squelch control of the "A" version was
eliminated and replaced by a notch filter (quite effective).

Apparently, around this time Ten-Tec dropped the OMNI-A (not to be
confused
with the version A), which was an analog dial readout. There was then
no need to label the OMNI a D for (digital).

The next model was the "C" version, however Ten-Tec incorporated the "C"
as a model name, i.e. it was then called the OMNI-C.  Thus the OMNI-C
was actually made AFTER the OMNI-D. The OMNI-C added all WARC bands,
even the 18MHz band, despite the 9MHz IF.  It also fully separated the
audio filter and optional crystal filter functions with two separate
toggle switches versus a rotary switch. There were, to my knowledge,
no other real differences.

I really like my OMNI-D, version B (model 546B).
I've never owned or used a DELTA.
Seems to me that the DELTA was only a 50 Watt output rig versus the
100 Watt output of all the OMNI a,b,d,c versions. The DELTA probably
has all WARC bands, since it was built during or after the time of the
OMNI-C.

If you are an ARRL member you can read a detailed review of the
OMNI-D, version B at  www.arrl.org/members-only/prodrev/bymfg.html

73,
Doug/WA1TUT