[TenTec] Summary: no SPOT function on Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Summary: no SPOT function on Pegasus
From: w5yr@swbell.net (George T. Baker)
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:24:57 -0500
Steve, your comment about the JA radios is not always the case. I think
that my now-old IC-765 radio is typical of most rice boxes of its vintage
in the frequency display department. The radio ALWAYS transmits on the
dial frequency, regardless of mode. The radio always receives on the dial
frequency, regardless of mode.

If receiving CW, the station transmitting on the dial frequency will be
heard with a 700-Hz beatnote. That beatnote can be changed over a 400 -
900 Hz range with a panel knob setting. If I want to zero-beat a cw
signal - regardless of the frequency - I simply tune in the station until
the beatnote is 700 Hz, which matches the sidetone signal I get by just
pressing the key (without transmitting). The dial then indicates the
frequency of the transmitting station. No mental gymnastics or frequency
juggling involved at all.

Icom radios older than the 765 - I bought mine new in 1990 - have the
unfortunate property of changing the dial indication when the mode is
changed. This introduces a great deal of complexity in managing
frequency. I am not familiar with the TT models you mention, but I
suspect that they do a similar thing which can cause considerable
confusion.

72/73, George        AMA 98452          R/C since 1964
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 54th year and it just keeps getting better!
AutoPOWER Systems, Fairview, TX (30 mi NE Dallas)  Collin County
QRP-L QRP-ARCI FISTS NORCAL ZOMBIE ARS 10-X  33.2 N 96.6 W EM13RE

Steve Ellington N4LQ wrote:

> Wonder why they teeter back and forth on this? My old Omni C requires
> that I add or subtract 600hz to the readout. If I read about a
> frequency in QST to tune into, I must do some math so I will be on
> freq. Then the Paragon II and Omni 6 don't require this but the
> Corsair does etc. So let's say a Pegasus owner makes a sked with a
> Omni 6 owner. They will have different frequencies on their dials!

And
> so it goes with all JA rigs too.

     <see comments above>

I suppose you could argue as to which