[TenTec] OMNI VI mixer

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI mixer
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 00:53:47 +0100 (BST)
Hams stop at nothing ....!!!

Every once in a while I see an e-mail which causes my eyebrows to head
for my hair line. But if I had the nerve, I'd do what you did Bill !!
Except I'd pop in one of my MCI RAY-3's... I have had a lonely CP-643
here for years, and I have a German circuit (re-published - with errors
- in Ham Radio some years back) which uses it with the RAY-3, but
because Crystalonics went out of business, I never followed thru and
used the thing. Maybe I should check their web site. For sure their UK
sales agent no longer exists.

The key question is whether its worth the effort. I guess that for the
ham who wants to see the full benefit of spending lots of cash on INRAD
filters, the answer is "MAYBE". The benefit in IMD performance would
presumably come entirely from proper termination of the mixer. At
present, the termination relies on paralled JFETS which may or may not
be well matched. The single CP-643 is in theory capable of doing a
better job. But would the improvement be any help in working 3C0R or
T31T through the European racket ???? MAYBE ...

(No prizes for the first guy to suggest buying a bigger antenna
instead. Now that is a good idea, but the bigger the antenna, the
bigger the strength of the QRM and the better the RX needs to be).

As with all non-standard modifications, this kind of hacking is (a) a
matter of choice, and (b) you are on your own if it does not work !! I
suggest getting a spare rig just in case..

Yes, the OMNI-V has passband tuning, although the only time I use it is
if I switch in the TT 1.8 kHz filter to try to improve SSB copy in
heavy QRM. Otherwise its of little practical use. I could live without
it. I have several SBL-1 mixers in my 45 year old junk pile. I never
thought about the mixer in that area of the OMNI-V.

Bill, you have given us some interesting ideas. Thank you.

73 John

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>