[TenTec] Re: What is it?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: What is it?
From: ditzian@greenepa.net (Jan Ditzian)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 08:28:53 -0400

Ronald Hands wrote:

>    Thanks for all the responses to my query about my mystery microphone.
>    It appears that it's a Model 215.

>    I don't get on phone much, but when I do I've been getting reports of
> garbled audio, at certain times and on certain bands.   Might be the
> microphone; might also be RF pickup.
>    So the subliminal message I'm getting is either "fix up your ground
> system" or "upgrade to a Model 705  . . . "
>
> -- Ron  VE3SP
> Hamilton, ON

Ron,

I actually bought one of these puppies to use with my Omni VI, and I get
good audio reports.  However, I also run digital modes, and use the rear
connector for audio input to generate RTTY or PSK tones.  If I leave the
computer audio connected and also try to use the microphone, it is so bad
that other hams have dropped in on frequency and asked me to QRT.  This may
be your problem, and since the computer audio is in the rear, it is hidden
from view and easily forgotten.

By the way, an amp REALLY makes the problem stand out.

I have found that many microphones will get reasonable audio reports (no
distortion, but not necessarily true to life), from CB hand microphones
purchased for $2.00 at hamfests, to microphones intended for the radio, as
long as the operator keeps the microphone gain down.  If you want more punch
without distortion, Alpha Power sells the solution, and Ten Tec sells a
similar solution under the name Titan II, but the answer to more punch in
the pileup is not behind a knob on your exciter.

146 (3 dB over 73),
Jan, KX2A