[TenTec] Comments: TT QRP monobanders

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Comments: TT QRP monobanders
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 18:34:42 -0500
Jamie,
Welcome to HF radio.  I am sure you will have a great time.

Since you say "first HF radio", I'm assuming you have little or
no HF experience.

>From the two options you put forward, my recommendation to you
would be to get the Scout or better.  It's 50 watts output and a
decent antenna reasonably situated will net you domestic and DX
QSO's relatively easily.

A QRP radio at this early stage of your HF experience might be
more difficult and frustrating than you want to deal with and may
make you give up on HF.

Realize with a QRP radio of 2 watts, you will have taken a 12-15
db hit on your signal strength.  With less than an optimum
antenna, QRP becomes more challenging and, for some, very
frustrating (slight QSB fades can kill off a QRP QSO while it may
have no effect on a 50w QSO.).

Get some HFexperience and QSO's under your belt using more
moderate and QSO-netting power levels before you attempt the
difficult, but enjoyable and pleasurable, world of QRP.

73 and have fun whatever you do,

dale, kg5u