[TenTec] OMNI VI+ signal and others...

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI+ signal and others...
From: kc0dxf@yahoo.com (Robert Wooldridge)
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 07:25:10 -0700 (PDT)
All,

I listened to W1AW last night and switched between 40
and 20 meters to see if I could here any difference.
The Omni on 20 meters definitely had a very distinct
sound.  There seemed to be a quick change in the
frequency right at the beginning of the envelope.
This causes a chirping sound.  It is particularly
noticeable at the beginning of a group of letters.  I
don't see that this detracts from copying the code at
all.  Some might find it annoying but it is not a big
deal to me.

It seems to me that all radios have their own
signature on the signal they put out.  I've only been
working CW since the beginning of the summer so I'm
still new to this stuff.  I think the ICOM's tend to
have a sinusoidal wave form that I don't think has as
much punch.  Kenwood's tend to sound more brassy (like
a trumpet) and I find this more desirable to copy.  I
QSO'd with a Corsair II recently and this radio also
had a slight change in the envelope at the beginning
of the signal but it was different than what the OMNI
sounds like from W1AW.

Those are my 2 cents worth.

I am especially interested in the Pegasus and I wonder
if it sounds at all like the OMNI?

=====
-Bob Wooldridge KC0DXF
-Web Mail: kc0dxf@yahoo.com
-Web: http://www.qsl.net/kc0dxf/
-See Also: http://www.anet-stl.com/~mcsg/
-Via HAM radio repeaters in St. Louis: 146.85, 442.10