[TenTec] Transverter questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Transverter questions
From: geraldj@ames.net (Dr. Gerald N. Johnson, P.E.)
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 14:06:45 -0500
input is limited to 10 watts. That's a whole lot more liberal than most
of the transverters that need a milliwatt or so. The input circuit is
robust, I've not yet fried my 1209 with more power when I forgot and
left the 2m amplifier in line.

>From my experience with the 1209, I'd say the Tentec transverters need a
couple mods. First they need to be hard keyed, not RF keyed, because
with RF keying, the bias on the transmitter stages varies with voice
level, that's not good for distortion. Then they need to be in REAL
shielded boxes so they don't hear all the shack computer hash direct.
The 1209 needs to be power through a filter, not with the power lead
laying across the PA section, so the RF gets to the antenna not the
power supply.

You could always add an attenuator between the radio and the
transverter, receive gain is excessive anyway.

73, Jerry, K0CQ