[TenTec] Transverter questions

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Transverter questions
From: haddon@pw.usda.gov (William F. Haddon)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 10:01:43 -0700 (PDT)
>Caitlyn Martin wrote:

>I've thought about buying Ten Tec transverters.
>won't I blow it up?

Caity,

Went thru the same gyrations myself 2.5 yrs ago.  As a scatter-brained
scientist, didn't think the 1208 would survive.  Not so . . it's never been
a problem to remember to reduce power on the Omni V.  The 1208 "straight
thru" switch bypasses the xverter for HF, allowing higher power for HF with
the xverter still in line. For a while, I didn't use that feature preferring
to switch the coax cables manually, so that I always had to think before
using 6 meters.  However, a friend borrowed the 1208,  and he forgot:  the
damage was minimal-- a couple fried input resistors, as others have mentioned.

The xverter is great fun.  With 5 watts into a 4-el home-built Yagi, I've
worked all over the country from near SF.  Only problem was RFI in the
neighbor's baby monitor --  but surprise -- the kid got older -- now she
throws temper tantrums and her "AFI" is, I'm sure, as bad as the former RFI!
The 1208 and the CMOS SuperKeyer, also American-made,  have been great
add-on's to the Omni V.

The question of buying American is more complex . . the Subaru I drive was
made in good 'ol Indiana; a local Berkeley ex-hippie does the service and
he's as American as they come.

73,  Bill N6ZFO