TenTec

[TenTec] Omni V - Instability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni V - Instability
From: aa8ve@juno.com (JEFF S JOHNSON)
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 1999 11:32:34 -0400
Carey,

Yes that sure sounds like a problem on the LO  / Mixer board. Could be a
failed crystal but also may be a bad solder joint, trimmer cap, or
something along that line. The best way to track it down is with a
frequency counter and a scope probe.

 When my  Omni-V was in last time, they did a few good updates. However
they also soldered a wire across all the crystals on the LO grounding the
cans. I don't really know the reason for this but it made the warmup time
drift take much longer due to all the mass of solder etc. I took this
soldered mod off and cleaned the cans off best I could didn't notice any
change with the performance but warmup was faster again.   (!!! Don't
mess around with any of this unless you have a good freq. counter and
know how to calibrate the board!!! )   After doing this I had to re
calibrate every band.

 I only mention all this to explain a reason a crystal could fail after
service, it may have been in poor shape to start with and heating it to
solder put it over the brink.  If this is the problem it will drift the
same on transmit so that's one way to check. Not a big problem just too
bad about all the shipping etc.

 The only thing I could suggest if your not up to trouble shooting and
want to send it in is to remove the cover on the pll / lo can first and
just make sure there's not a loose plug or something. Who knows you may
just see the problem!

Good luck es 73,   Jeff aa8ve

Omni-V is one of the most amazing rigs them hillbilly's ever came out
with!