[TenTec] Ten Tec 544 Supplement

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec 544 Supplement
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec Inc. Amateur Radio Sales)
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 1999 11:37:39 -0500
At 10:26 PM 10/30/99 -0400, AA8VE wrote:

>Yes the model numbers are confusing, it really looks haywire if you go to
>the unofficial T-T page and select all models from the index. Take a look
>down the list and see what pattern there is, man I just don't get it!

Ten-Tec model number coding:

200's are for accessory items - antenna tuners, filters, dummy loads, etc.
300's we have used for "connecting" items - cables and remote knobs.
400's are linear amplifiers
500's are transceivers
600's are keyers and keying devices
700's are microphones and SSB related devices.
800's Scout modules
900's are power supplies

Over the years, a few items have strayed from this (like the use of 200
series numbers for older power supplies/mics) but it has been fairly
consistent for the last 10 years or more.

>Another thing I wonder about is on my Triton IV 544's front panel it has
>the T*T symbol and then it just say's "Model 544" but in all the ads and
>other photos I see it has "Triton IV" with no number.  Their both the
>same rig, any one else have this or know why?

Ten-Tec was threatened with legal action from a major communications
company over the use of the name "Triton" for radio equipment.  Rather
than have David fight Goliath, we politely changed the name of the radio
from the model 544 Triton IV to the "Model 544" - the "Model 544" name
plate on the front was used for approximately the last year of production
of the model.  After that, our top of the line radio became "Omni..."

73,
Scott Robbins, W4PA
Amateur Radio Product Manager

Ten-Tec, Inc., 1185 Dolly Parton Pkwy, Sevierville, TN 37862 USA
  Contact Mon-Fri Eastern: Office/Tech (865) 453-7172 9 am-5 pm.
  Repair (865) 428-0364 8-4.  Sales (800) 833-7373 9 am-5:30 pm.
  Fax (865) 428-4483 24 hrs.  Visit us at <http://www.tentec.com>

  --->--->---> Please note: E-mail <sales@tentec.com> for sales
  and general product info only.  We presently do not offer
  repair, parts, or kit building tech support by electronic mail,
  please telephone (865) 428-0364 or (865) 453-7172.

  Ten-Tec manufactures amateur radio equipment, military and com-
  mercial use HF radio equipment, custom aluminum and steel
  enclosures and has an on-premises, fully equipped tool and die
  facility supplying metal and plastic injection mold industries.
  Potential tool and die, custom enclosure or communications
  electronics customer?  Contact us with your needs.