[TenTec] Argosy with 218 filter: comments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy with 218 filter: comments
From: caitlyn@netferrets.net (Caitlyn M. Martin)
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 1999 17:06:06 -0500
Hi, everyone,

Well, I received a lot of mail (on and off the reflector) about the
accessories and options I should or should not get for my Argosy.  The
majority opinion was that the 218 narrow SSB filter was not worth it.  I had
previous experience with a Drake narrow SSB filter, so I bought one anyway,
thanks to a gentleman on this reflector who sold one to me for far less than
a new Ten Tec.  I have it installed now, and I really have to disagree with
the majority.

I tried it on a nice, crowded 20 meter band.  It does what my old Drake
TR-7's  1.8khz SSB filter did:  makes some or all of the adjacent signals
drop away.  Yes, the audio suffers.  It did in the TR-7 too.  IMHO, though,
the gain in being able to hear just the signal you are trying to copy
outweighs the loss in audio quality and fidelity.

One caveat, though:  I don't have my 220 filter yet, so it may not make as
much of a difference as it does with the stock four-pole filter.

IMHO, for someone who primarily operates SSB (like me), this filter is worth
it.  YMMV, of course...

73,
Caity
KU4QD