[TenTec] Pegasus once again!!

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus once again!!
From: k7kj@teleport.com (Greg Hodsdon)
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 21:46:11 -0800
Tim:
I have been using the Pegasus since last Tuesday and received the 302 knob on
Friday. The Omni 6 Plus is sitting idle as the "virtual" radio is so much fun
operating. Numerous unsolicited outstanding cw and audio reports have been
received from both stateside and dx contacts on only 100 watts.

One thing I have noticed when receiving cw and using a filter wider than 750hz
is that the signal can be heard on both sides of "zero beat". I am told by
TenTec that this is a? characteristic of the radio and not a function of circuit
alignment. When using the 750hz or narrower filters this does not occur. I find
the 750 hz filter just fine for casual tuning on the cw band. Comments below:

Tim Cook wrote:

> Hi,
> In the process of? experimenting with the Pegasus software, I noticed a
> couple of things it did or didn't do that I have questions on.
>
> 1. It has several tuning steps, and at first that seemed real nice, but when
> experimenting with the software, if I use 10hz tuning steps (which are
> common for most Ham transceivers), one turn of the knob results in something
> less than 200hz per revolution!? In order to get a comfortable 5khz or 10khz
> per revolution (again like most modern transceivers) I must set the tuning
> step to 100hz (2 khz per rev) or 500hz (10khz per rev) . This appears to me
> to be a problem in tuning the bands. If I set it to 100/500hz, The tuning
> will be unacceptable for normal listening. and If I set it to 10hz, it would
> take forever to tune around a band.? I know I must be missing something ,
> surely it can't operate like this and get the rave reviews it's getting.

I do not find the tuning rates objectionable with the virtual knob, however, the
remote knob (302) does tune differently. At the 50hz rate, the 302 tunes
approximately 8khz per knob rotation, while the virtual knob tunes about 900hz.
One feature I like is the analog slider dial. Just mouse to it and click or drag
it for a quick QSY.

> ?
>
> 2.? The other thing I noticed was the "band switch" , The button right below
> the main tuning knob. One thing in the past few years that all manufactures
> promoted was "band stacking registers" or something to that affect. Anyhow I
> at first thought it was remembering the last freq tuned to on each band, but
> that does not appear to be the case. Can someone explain what that function
> does (the amateur band button), other than put you someplace within the band
> you request.

I don't use this much. All it does is change frequency/mode/filter to that last
used on the selected band.

> ?
>
> I know these might seem like questions that can wait until? I actually get a
> radio to hook to it, but if the first problem I discussed actually works as
> I described it,? I may change my mind about the order I placed last week.
> Thanks for any input and help on clarifying my concerns....

Tim, quit fretting and buy the radio....you won't be disappointed. The Pegasus
doesn't have the receiver of the Omni 6 Plus but I'd venture to state that the
Pegasus is the best value and highest technology for the dollar EVER in amateur
radio transceivers....period.
Greg, K7KJ
Portland, OR

?