[TenTec] 961PS Problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 961PS Problem
From: n1eu@yahoo.com (N1EU)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 12:37:30 -0800 (PST)
Well, the raspy cw tone on my Omni 6 has been traced
to the 961 power supply.  Under transmit load, the dc
output of the 961 shows as much as 5 volts of 120hz
ripple (seen with an oscilloscope).  I'm no power
supply expert by an stretch of the imagination, and
would sure appreciate any expertise on troubleshooting
further.  I plan on testing the 47000uF filter
capacitor, but any additional advice is welcome.

The power supply audibly hums in transmit and is
normally quiet at other times.  It has gotten much
worse over the last couple of days, as if a component
is really in failure mode.  Occasionally the hum and
ripple aren't there and it transmits cleanly, but more
often than not they are and it's getting worse.

Best holiday wishes & thanks for any help,
Barry  N1EU