[TenTec] Re: watt meter calibration

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: watt meter calibration
From: w5yr@worldnet.att.net (George T. Baker)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 19:50:44 -0600
Regardless of the diode rectifier used, you have to be careful about the
value of the resistor used across the filter cap and the input impedance
of the DVM. If the DVM loads the circuit too much, you get less than the
peak voltage and calculate less than the true power value.

Most probes are designed to take into account the DVM loading such that
the output voltage is about 0.7 of the peak to give an approximate RMS
value. The Handbook probes, for example, were designed that way so that
the resulting power calculation was simply E^2/50 where E was the voltage
read by the DVM. If I remember right, the load resistor was chosen for an
11 megohm input resistance for the VTVM that used to be the standard.

Of course, if you can confirm that you are actually seeing the peak
voltage, then the calculation is (Ep^2)/100 where Ep is the true peak
voltage across the 50-ohm resistive load.

72/73, George
Fairview, TX   30 mi NE Dallas in Collin county
Amateur Radio W5YR, in the 54th year and it just keeps getting better!
R/C since 1964 - AMA 98452   RVing since 1972