[TenTec] FS: Corsair I, microphone and manual

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FS: Corsair I, microphone and manual
From: patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk (John - G3JAG)
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:30:28 -0000 (GMT)

One cause of sticking meters (perhaps mainly of the modern
almost-all plastic kind) seems to be light-weight manufacturing debris
inside the meter. My 253 auto-atu developed a sticking fault after I
did some work that involved removing the front panel to get at the
memory chip. At first I thought I needed a new meter. The thought of the
cost, including airmail and taxes, not  to mention transit damage,
provoked me into taking a closer look, and there it was, a tiny plastic
chunk between coil and magnet. There were more fragments loose inside
the case.

Eventually I was able to dislodge the plastic fragment. But its not easy
to do without causing damage .... A strip of thin, but stiff paper
sometimes works if you can get it into the gap and reach the offending
fragment. A bench magnifier or a good glass helps a lot, because its
essential not to foul up the pivots and/or return spring. Don't even
think about dismantling the meter completely, unless you are a watch
maker. Just get the case off, no more. Then put the meter back without
letting any more stray bits drop into the magnet gap.

I suspect this plastics fragment problem may explain why new gear can
arrive with an apparently dud, sticking meter. It maybe depends on how
many times it was inverted or dropped in transit.

Metal fragments in the magnet gap are an ancient problem. I hate them
because the lil' xxxxxxx keep flying back to the magnet. Once again a
paper strip and a lot of patience may work and save an otherwise OK
meter.

The other long time favourite is loose glass. Make sure the front glass
is firmly located against the bezel. I fixed one with two tiny dabs of
superglue, but keep the glue off the visible face, and off your fingers.

Definitely not for the timid ..... Poke around at your own risk, (but if
the meter ain't working, what have you to lose ??)

The author accepts no liability for the consequences of this advice,
especially if you use a chainsaw, vacuum cleaner or compressed air gun.

Maybe someone else has better ideas.

John G3JAG

To: <tentec@contesting.com>

E-Mail: John - G3JAG <patents@dx0man.prestel.co.uk>