[TenTec] 1220 vs. new Japanese rig

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 1220 vs. new Japanese rig
From: aa8ve@juno.com (JEFF S JOHNSON)
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 1999 13:19:20 -0500
Caity,

One thing for sure is the 1220 is a very fine rig. It does not have a lot
of features but for FM or repeater use I think it is an excellent rig.
I've had one that I built a couple years ago with the 35 watt final and
have been very happy with it.  It doesn't see much use hear I don't care
for repeaters but I'm not ready to give it up yet either. 8-(  Yes, like
you I know I could have bought a rig that does more for the same money
but all Ten-Tec sure looks good.  I won't need a microscope and a
$40,000.00 analyzer if it needs servicing either, I have everything I
need and after building it, trouble shooting is part of the fun.

Both receive and transmit audio are great.

73,88  Jeff  aa8ve

On Sun, 26 Dec 1999 12:45:23 -0500 "Caitlyn M. Martin"
<caitlyn@netferrets.net> writes:

> Hi, everyone,
>
> It's a long story, but I need a new 2m mobile for my car.  I have
> pretty
> much decided to go buy one of the new $170-$180 Japanese rigs with
> 50 watts
> and all the features, but...  if I could have an American made rig,
> preferably a Ten Tec, I'd really like it better.  OK, my friends
> here think
> I'm nuts for willing to spend what a new rig costs on someone else's
> built
> 5w kit, and maybe they're right, but...  I may do it anyway if one
> of you
> has one you are willing to spare that is working properly.
>
> My upper limit on price for one with the mounting and mic. is $200.
> I know
> some of you feel, perhaps rightly so, that you should be compensated
> for the
> cost of the kit and your labor to build it, but let's face it, I can
> get a
> superior rig for less money, so there have to be practical limits,
> not to
> mention the ever-present limits on my budget.
>
> Oh, and before I am flamed for not building one myself, while I
> assume that
> I could learn the skills necessary to do so given time, the one
> thing I
> don't have in my present job for the big blue company is time.  It's
> why I'm
> not on the air all that much, either.
>
> So... right after the Y2K in sanity is over I'm going to put that
> new rig in
> my car.  Anyone care to make it a Ten Tec?
>
> 73,
> Caity
> KU4QD
>

> --