[TenTec] Pegasus, surprise tone

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pegasus, surprise tone
From: kayser@king.igs.net (Larry Kayser)
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:28:52 -0500
Greetings:

Pegasus users might want to note that when in the CW mode there is a tone
buried in the noise of the radio.  The tone is on the frequency of the
sidetone, spot tone, and the offset frequency for CW operation.  The tone is
easily seen in the noise if one examines the noise coming from the radio
with a program like Spectrogram or other DSP program.

In my case my DSP software kept telling me there was a tone while also
telling me that the signal was not decodable.  I chased a software problem
for quite a while.  Finally I examined the audio from the Pegasus with
Spectrogram that I could see the tone and how it was manifesting itself.
This tone is not loud, it is just loud enough......

The tone is actually very useful in setting up a program like Spectrogram so
one can directly read the frequency of other signals in the passband of the
radio.  Some might say it is an undocumented feature of the radio and must
decline that option - for my work it is a pain the butttttttt.  We need a
software feature to turn it on and off, even at the low level it is existing
at.

This tone would also interfere and probably would limit the dynamic range
and weak signal detection capability for some digital signals.  (Hint)

Larry
VA3LK