[TenTec] T-T Hercules vs Ameritron ALS-500M

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] T-T Hercules vs Ameritron ALS-500M
From: paa2000@n-jcenter.com (Dan Onley)
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2000 17:39:17 -0500
Dear list members,

The TEN-TEC Hercules II (Model 9420) is certainly the solid-state HF amp of
choice for my home station.  I really respect the engineering behind it as
well as factory support I can really count on.

I have another application for a basic HF amp, to give me just a tad of
contesting clout when operating from our RV with plentiful 13.8VDC.  At a
$679 street price, the MFJ/Ameritron ALS-500M seems about right in theory
for that application, where saving space and money is at a premium.  I
wonder if any of you list members have had experiences, good or bad, with
the ALS-500M.  Since this query is not about a TEN-TEC product, but still
respects and relies on the honest opinions of TEN-TEC users, please send
your honest opinions directly to me at <paa2000@n-jcenter.com> rather than
to the list.

Comments about the 9420 Hercules II itself certainly DO belong on this list.

Thanks, 73 to all . . .
Dan, K4ZRA
Ormond Beach, FL