[TenTec] Early experiences with the Pegasus

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Early experiences with the Pegasus
From: rheming@attglobal.net (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 14:41:06 -0600
Well, it arrived about a week ago, right on time.  It has been fun (?)
installing it in this small retirement apartment.  Had a hard time getting
a good SWR on the Isotron 20 meter antenna hung up on the ceiling of the
porch (first floor apartment).  No RF ground available (real stealth
outside).  Finally put in a counterpoise wire (16 1/2 feet - only operate
on 20 meters now) and have SWR around 2:1.

Big problem was apparent RFI.  Made my TV jump.  That didn't bother me, as
we don't look at TV when I am operating and visa versa, however, I was, and
am, concerned about bothering the neighbors.  I finally, apparently solved
the problem by putting ferrite filters on the coax at the antenna.  No more
jump.  I have ordered an artificial ground tuner kit from TT.  I am only
planning on operating at about 5-10 watts, so perhaps no-one will hear me??

I was concerned about the extended receive of the Peg in this environment,
as I like to do SWL.  I have a Sony 2010 SW radio which works great here.
However, I have found, even with this marginal antenna that the Peg can
hear everything that the Sonly can.  I do have some monitor interference
which masks weak SSB signals sometimes.  However, I can hear them by
turning off the monitor.

This is one heck of a radio and I like the unlimited memories and DSP
filtering.  I wish that the noise filter worked on AM. At least I haven't
been able to use it on AM.

Still soldering permanent cables and will try TX'ing in about a week.  If
you live a few block away you may be able to hear me <gr>.

Thanks for everyone's input and help.

Dick, N5XRD

BTW I didn't want to have a problem with leaking electrons so I have it in
a vertical position on my desk <gr>.  (It fits quite well that way)