[TenTec] Argosy 525 A Mods ?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Argosy 525 A Mods ?
From: weingaertner@nac.net (Robert Weingaertner)
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2000 22:27:56 -0400
There are 2 possible fixes for this. One is to lengthen the AGC time
constant. It will still pop, but a slower time constant will keep it
from popping as often. The other fix is to add an RF or IF gain
control to reduce front end gain so the AGC doesn't have to attack so
hard. Audio derived AGC as used in some Ten Tecs attacks more slowly
than does IF derived AGc and this is what causes the problem.

THe time constant mod was described in November 1983 QST hints and
kinks.
The RF gain control addition was in February 1986 QST, p 51 and in
QSP Classics, P 171. There was also a Ten Tec service bulletin on
this, TN2-525. I don't have this service bulletin, but I have the
QST references.

                        73,
                                Bob WB2VUF