[TenTec] Swedish MRII radiation standards

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Swedish MRII radiation standards
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 15:00:48 -0700
At my previous company I was involved in EMI testing.  We had our own
facility which we had to characterize and certify every 6 months.  When we
tested an item (computer, monitor, HDD, etc.) all data was recorded for the
report to the FCC.  We tested each setup in a worst case scenario where the
emitted or conducted levels would be the highest.  This gives you a buffer.
Many companies, especially those in the far east, would set up the equipment
to be tested such that the least amount of radiated or conducted emissions
would be detected.  In some cases they would even "cheat" by using test
units that had been "specially prepared" for EMI testing with modifications
that would not be in the actual production units.

BTW we found that the Nokia (Finland) monitors were among the best in that
they had the least amount of emitted radiation across the spectrum.  Those
from the far east tended to be the worst (you get what you pay for).

Reid, K7YX